Thursday, February 12, 2009

One of he most incredible gifts I've ever received!

I went to breakfast with Michael this morning. He told me he had a "gift" to give me. While we were at breakfast, he says, "Alright, so before I give you your gift, I want to tell you a little history behind it."
"Okay." I agreed warily.

"When I was at war in Afghanistan, we got a chance to meet all kinds of amazing officers from different militaries all over the world. Before it was time to come home, we would all exchange gifts to remember each other by."

He continued, "So, we would exchange patches and other sentimental belongings that were important to us and tell each other, 'Here's something to remember be by.'"

"I was really good friends with this Jordanian Officer, Mohammed, who gave me a patch right off of his uniform for skydiving."

I looked at Michael with a somewhat bewildered, yet excited look.

"Well," he smiled, "I thought since you just made your 100th skydive, you deserve to have your first pair of wings."

He handed me a slightly frayed military patch with the original round parachute and wings embroidered on it! I was so taken back; I didn't know what to say!

"Are you sure?!" I asked.
"Absolutely, I want you to have it." he said.

I am so honored he would want me to have such memorable token from the war. I'll cherish it forever! I need to find a place to put it when I jump!

No comments:

Post a Comment